Flu rates are already very high in our area! Getting the annual flu vaccine is the best thing you can do to prevent yourself from getting sick.
While the flu vaccine is the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family from the virus, other health precautions can be of great help, too. Our AFC Urgent Care Sevierville team highlights what you can do to stay healthy this winter below!
How Do I Know If I Have the Flu?
The best way to know whether you have the flu is by getting a rapid flu test at our AFC center.
Additionally, flu symptoms generally on come on hard and strong. A fever and body aches are just a couple of tell-tale symptoms of this virus. We’ve listed some other common symptoms below.
Common Flu Symptoms
- Joint and muscle aches
- Pain and tiredness around the eyes
- Weakness or extreme fatigue
- Warm, flushed skin and red, watery eyes
- Frequent headaches
If I Get the Flu, What Can I Do to Feel Better?
Unfortunately, if you get the flu, there is no known cure for the virus. However, there are many things you can do at home to feel better and to make the more common symptoms, such as fever and body aches, more manageable. Getting plenty of rest, staying hydrated by drinking water and taking OTC medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen to treat aches and pains can all be extremely helpful treatments.
Additionally, flu antiviral drugs like Tamiflu can help, too, but they are only effective up to two days after you start to experience symptoms. To keep yourself from getting sick, consider the prevention tactics that we’ve listed below.
Ways to Prevent the Flu
- Avoid close contact with people—especially with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Washing multiple times a day for at least 20 seconds each time is one of the best things you can do to stay healthy!
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wear a mask when going inside stores or other businesses.
Remember, AFC Urgent Care Sevierville has your back! Visit us if you feel under the weather today.