The summer season is right around the corner! Chances are that most of your days, if possible, will be spent outdoors rather than inside. And who can blame you?
However, our team at AFC Urgent Care Sevierville wants to make sure that you are staying as protected as possible outside so that you reduce your risk of skin cancer now and in the future.
What Are My Chances of Getting Skin Cancer?
According to the American Cancer Society, skin cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed among Americans. In fact, one in every five people will be diagnosed with skin cancer by age 70.
Take steps to protect your skin when you’re outdoors.
Ways to Protect Your Skin
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Avoid the sun during the middle of the day.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a wide-brimmed hat.
- Protect your eyesight with sunglasses that have UVA and/or UVB protection.
- Remember to apply sunscreen to the eyelids, ears, scalp, hands and feet.
- Seek shade, such as an umbrella, when possible.
Would I Know If I Had Skin Cancer?
While skin cancer is common, it is also very treatable, when detected early. That’s why it is so important to familiarize yourself with the symptoms of skin cancer, so that you can seek medical attention if you see changes in your skin.
Signs of Skin Cancer
- Firm, red nodule
- A scaly growth that bleeds or develops a crust
- A sore that doesn’t heal
- A new mole or a mole that has changed
- A skin spot that’s asymmetrical
- A skin spot that’s bigger than a pencil eraser
Did you suffer a really bad sunburn? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Sevierville today for an evaluation and treatment plan.