Feeling nauseous is common. While nausea will usually go away on its own even if you don’t do anything to treat it, there are some things you can do at home that can make you feel better faster!
Our AFC Urgent Care Sevierville team highlights what to do when nausea strikes below, so keep reading.
- Here’s what to do: Try ginger. Eating ginger or drinking ginger tea are some of the most popular, effective ways to treat feelings of nausea. The reason is that experts believe ginger contains compounds that work in a similar way to anti-nausea medications.
- What to do next: Turn to lemons. Lemons contain citric acid, a naturally occurring compound thought to aid digestion and soothe the stomach. Try adding freshly squeezed lemon juice to water and sip throughout the day.
- What to do after: Try a cool compress. When nausea occurs, your body temperature may increase, so a soothing, cool compress placed on the back of the neck may help ease nausea.
- Also: Sit up and avoid lying down. When you lie flat, gastric juices may rise and increase feelings of nausea. Instead, when you’re nauseous, try reclining with your upper body elevated and moving around as little as possible.
- Another effective remedy: Eat a small meal of something bland. Following a bland diet may help nausea from worsening or prevent you from vomiting. The most common recommended diet for recovering from nausea is the BRAT diet—bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- If natural remedies don’t work: Try OTC antiemetic medication, like Dramamine. Antiemetic medications are anti-nausea drugs that can help to reduce feelings of nausea or vomiting. They are often used to treat nausea or vomiting symptoms caused by motion sickness or infection.
- Doctor recommendations: When other symptoms accompany nausea, it may be serious. For instance, nausea with chest pain is a classic sign of a heart attack and requires emergency medical attention. Additionally, see a doctor if episodes of nausea last more than a couple of weeks, or you have nausea and unexplained weight loss.
- Action steps to take: Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water throughout the day is one of the best ways to prevent nausea from happening.
Don’t let nausea get the best of you! If you need treatment, don’t hesitate to visit our AFC Urgent Care Sevierville team today!