<![CDATA[It’s hot in Sevierville! And we usually don’t think about summertime when we’re thinking about developing a cough, because it’s often associated with cold weather. But it’s important to note—a cough can occur at any time of year with a variety of causes. The first step to finding relief? Nailing down the specific cause of your cough.
What Is Causing My Cough?A cough can develop for any number of reasons. Allergens and other irritants in the air are the most common cause of a cough, but infections and viruses also often lead to a cough. Fortunately, no matter the cause, there are steps you can take to find relief:
Finding Relief From a Cough
- Avoid perfume and other scented products in the home.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Get enough quality sleep and rest.
- Try an OTC medication or product like throat lozenges.
- Use a humidifier to increase the moisture level in the home.
Why Won’t My Cough Go Away?In most cases, at-home and OTC remedies can help ease your cough. But if your cough worsens or doesn’t improve within a week, you may need medical attention.
Signs You Need a Doctor for Your Cough
- Abdominal hernia
- Coughed-up blood
- Cough lasting longer than a week or two
- Cracked ribs
- Damage to small blood vessels or the throat
- Muscular pain
- Ruptured diaphragm