It’s hot in Sevierville! And we usually don’t think about summertime when we’re thinking about developing a cough, because it’s often associated with cold weather.
But it’s important to note—a cough can occur at any time of year with a variety of causes. The first step to finding relief? Nailing down the specific cause of your cough.
What Is Causing My Cough?
A cough can develop for any number of reasons. Allergens and other irritants in the air are the most common cause of a cough, but infections and viruses also often lead to a cough.
Fortunately, no matter the cause, there are steps you can take to find relief:
Finding Relief From a Cough
- Avoid perfume and other scented products in the home.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Get enough quality sleep and rest.
- Try an OTC medication or product like throat lozenges.
- Use a humidifier to increase the moisture level in the home.
Why Won’t My Cough Go Away?
In most cases, at-home and OTC remedies can help ease your cough. But if your cough worsens or doesn’t improve within a week, you may need medical attention.
Signs You Need a Doctor for Your Cough
- Abdominal hernia
- Coughed-up blood
- Cough lasting longer than a week or two
- Cracked ribs
- Damage to small blood vessels or the throat
- Muscular pain
- Ruptured diaphragm
Is it time to see a doctor for your cough? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Sevierville today so our professionals can help you find relief!