What Is Causing My Cough? A cough can develop for any number of reasons. Allergens and other irritants in the air are the most common cause of a cough, but infections and viruses also often lead to a cough. Fortunately, no matter the cause, there are steps you can take to find relief:
Finding Relief From a Cough
- Avoid perfume and other scented products in the home.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Get enough quality sleep and rest.
- Try an OTC medication or product like throat lozenges.
- Use a humidifier to increase the moisture level in the home.
Why Won’t My Cough Go Away?In most cases, at-home and OTC remedies can help ease your cough. But if your cough worsens or doesn’t improve within a week, you may need medical attention.
Signs You Need a Doctor for Your Cough
- Abdominal hernia
- Coughed-up blood
- Cough lasting longer than a week or two
- Cracked ribs
- Damage to small blood vessels or the throat
- Muscular pain
- Ruptured diaphragm